Kharkiv Institute for Social Research (KhISR) – non-profit and non-governmental organization, founded on March 10th, 1999. The Institute is independent from influence of any bodies and organizations, both public and private.
The Institute’s Goal is the development of an open civil society and democracy, respect for human rights and freedoms, raising legal awareness of the Ukrainian citizens.
The Institute project fields are as follows:
- access to justice in Ukraine;
- assessment of police activity (national and regional levels), public oversight of the police;
- preventing of torture and ill-treatment in custodial settings;
- living conditions in social institutions;
- reforming of social services at the community level;
- introducing new catering system (meals ready to eat) at police custody units;
- quality of medical aid in prisons;
- analysis of discriminatory practices on different population groups (aged people, foreigners, people of other nationalities, etc.);
- security of communities in the regions that are involved in the military conflict in Ukraine;
- rights of internally displaced persons, including children and sick.